Saturday, April 29, 2006

Assign permissions early

Last week I decided to restrict the access to one of the drives on my main pc, an 80GB drive with quite a bit of files in it, I took so many hours that I had to go to sleep before it was done

it reminded me that we should always assign permissions as early as possible, in the case of disk drives the bigger and more files you have on them, the longer it will take to complete the operation because it has to adjust permissions to every single file on the drive

the same concept applies when developing, but the problem in this case is that YOU (not an automated tool) will have to adjust the security, this may require a change on the architecture, which then introduces bugs, whichs costs time and resources... it can get quite ugly

assign permissions early wherever it applies, it will save you a lot of resources on the future

No comments: