Monday, August 29, 2005

all day, no crashes:


Nick Hodges from the [TeamB] reports:
"I worked with Delphi 2005 yesterday for over 8 hours, and it didn't crash once, it performed marvelously, and I was well pleased to be using it. "

you can find the full "discussion" here:
http://groups.google.de/group/borland.public.delphi.non-technical/browse_frm/thread/36fcedcded76a2d0

obviously this caused all kinds of jokes and ironic comments, I specially liked this one:

"Sounds great, Nick. Maybe Borland could make that a selling point of the next version?
"Our cutting-edge IDE - now even better. Authenticated by TeamB to run for at least 8 hours without crashing." Eat your heart out, Microsoft.... "

now, on the serious part, that's, just plain bad and sad, when I need to create applications that run for months, and the development environment has been broken for a long time (Delphi 8 anyone?), and to get a bug fix (not all of the bugs fixed) costs you another 3,000 (Delphi 2005), and that still doesn't work right, and another bug fix will cost another 3,000, who has the money to keep up with buggy versions of software and why would you even bother?
I know from my company, we at least used to buy 200 licenses of Delphi, but that's gone, and I really don't think we'll magically go back to Delphi one day =o(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I didn't realize Delphi had these problems. They were fairly solid eons ago when I used them